Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Harry Potter Studio Tours in London


WB Harry Potter Studio Tour
WB Harry Potter Studio Tour
I was so excited about this tour!  I was also very nervous that I would be let down, I just didn't know what to expect!  We have family in Watford so we got dropped off at Watford Junction (closest station to the studios). For some reason I was expecting the Knight Bus, but that was a bit too much to expect. A round trip bus ride to the WB Studios is 2 pounds.

My nerves were working overtime because I was bringing my 4 year old with me and I just was not sure how that was going to go over.

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour
We arrive to see a very flashy new entrance with giant pictures of our favorite characters looking down at us.  There is also a huge gift shop where it would be very easy to spend a gazillion dollars on wands, brooms, and chocolate frogs.  You have to buy your tickets in advance and give a time to arrive, in order to make sure that lines and crowds are kept to a minimum.  We really did not encounter huge crowds and the organization was impeccable!  There is also a cafe with with food and snacks.  We had a snack there after our tour, it was very nice with some great healthy options too.

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour
When we entered we were shown a short film of the actors who play Hermionie, Harry and Ron who tell us how they pretty much grew up on this set, and then "magically" something lifts and we are all standing before the doors to the great hall.

This place was amazing!  It is not a theme park, but if you have any interest in the craft movie making or are a Harry Potter nut like me, you will be amazed to walk through the Great Hall and Diagon Alley. More than that though, the volunteers and staff members are full of incredible facts about everything you will see, like how all the Wand Boxes are hand labeled and how it took 86 artists to create the 1:24 scale construction of the Hogwarts Castle and Grounds.  The model was used for aerial scenes and even though you can't see them, I am told there are little tiny owls in the Owlery!
WB Harry Potter Studio Tour



Who knew that the giant Chess game played by Harry, Ron and Hermione were actually built!  I thought they were just computer models!  I couldn't believe I was standing looking into the Weasley's Kitchen, the Snape's Potions Classroom and I even knocked on the Dursley's front door! (Petunia wouldn't let me in thought).  The docent outside the Potions Classroom told us how there is actually a recipe to make the dust that covers many of the bottles around the room.




Potions Classroom WB Studio
WB Harry Potter Studio Tour


I was also impressed at how my daughter handled it.  They had a Passport type book for the kids to carry around and get an embossing type stamp at different stations throughout the tour.  She is too young for the books and movies, but she seemed genuinely interested in seeing and hearing about the things we were looking at. 

Oh, yes there was Butterbeer, if you like Rootbeer you may like it. It wasn't my thing, but others in my group liked it.

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour
One of my favorite sections was the robotics that were used.  They have one of Hagrid's Biting Book on display snapping away, they also have an opened up one so you can see the working parts. Forkes was on his perch as well as Buckbeak.  I couldn't possibly name here everything we saw, there is so much. Lastly I will mention the artwork!  The masks of the the House Elf's  (Dobby specifically) were so amazingly detailed and realistic!  I cannot imagine being an artist on this set and getting to work on so many incredible objects.  The creativity flows out of everywhere all at once.

Great Hall WB Studios





You can see yourself riding on a broom or in the Ford Anglia on a green screen and get a picture taken of it.  You can also get your picture taken for "Most Wanted" in the gift shop.  We did this but please be aware.  The place the rolled up posted (which is thin newsprint) in a square tube that has been stored flat.  Therefore it folds flat again easily and will put creases in your poster.  Ours didn't even make it back to where we were staying, let alone back to America.  Where it was creased it rubbed off the ink.  I had to have it scanned and digitally fixed. (Yes I am that big a dork).  It was fairly expensive and I have made the Studio's aware, but have not heard yet had a response. I hope that they will change the way the posters are handed out.


By the end of it I couldn't believe I had thought I would be let down, this place is wonderful!  The staff were knowledgeable and friendly. I could have gone a second day!  I really could have! It was expensive, but well worth it for us! Movie Magic is really an education all in itself.

Don't forget to visit Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station. Yes it is really there!

 
WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour





WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour



WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour



WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour


WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour - Petunia wouldn't let us in!

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour



WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour



WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour

WB Harry Potter Studio Tour


No comments:

Post a Comment

This site has a New Home

Click Here to head over to our Brand Spanking New Web Site. All the old stuff is there as well as some exciting new posts! http://keepingupwithkids.com/